(48) Brieger, William R. (1992) Helping communities to eradicate guinea worm : a training guide / WASH (Arlington, VA, US) ; Peace Corps (Washington, DC, US). Arlington, VA, USA : Water and Sanitation for Health Project, xi, 293 p. : fig.,tab. (WASH field report ; no. 322)
Guinea Worm Eradication Program
This training guide outlines a workshop that is divided into 10 training sessions focusing on specific knowledge and skill areas related to Guineaworm eradication. Depending on the nature of the topic and the assumed extend of the trainees' previous exposure to the issue, the sessions vary in length from two hours to a full day. Each session is presented under four main headings: objectives, overview, procedures, and materials. Trainer notes are also included at the end of a session to emphasise special preparation and procedures. The ten sessions in the workshop are intended to be delivered in 5 days. Originally developed for use by Peace Corps Volunteers in need of inservice training, the guide stresses that the biggest need in Guineaworm control is not the supply of technology but the need to involve communities in using the available technology to improve their own health. The workshop is concentrating on raising awareness of the causes and prevention of guineaworm, and developing local action plans.
(49) Chatterjee, Ashoke (1993) Safe water and sanitation in the Himalayas : communication for community participation and management : four workshop experiences / India. Rajiv Gandhi National Drinking Water Mission (IN) ; UP Voluntary Health Association (Dehra Dun, IN) ; Mussoorie Gramin Vikas Samiti (Mussoorie, IN) ; National Institute of Design (Ahmedabad, IN). Ahmedabad, India : National Institute for Design, 35 p. : photogr.
This report describes four IEC Workshops held in India from October 1990 to January 1993. The first workshop was held in Rajpur, (Dehra Dun) from October 27 to 29 1990, under the title Community Participation and IEC Workshop. The second meeting took place in Rajpur from 1016 March 1991, under the name Communications Skills Workshop. The next workshop took place in March 1992 in Rajpur under the name of Followup Workshop. The last workshop took place from January 514 1993, in Ahmedabad under the name of Workshop on Video for Field Usage.
(50) ILO, INSTRAW, IRC, UNDTCD (1991) Women, water supply and sanitation (WWSS) (Training material, curricula) / Seminar on the Participation of Women in Water Supply and Sanitation Projects and Programmes for Development Officials ; ILO (Turin, IT ; INSTRAW (Santo Domingo, DO ; IRC -The Hague, NL ; UNDTCD (New York, NY, US. - Rev. ed.. - Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, United Nations International Research and Training Institute for the Advancement of Women. - 4 vol.: fig., cassettes, slides, tab., and transparency texts
Final version - five modules - Module I : The International Drinking Water Supply and Sanitation Decade (IDWSSD) and Beyond - Module II : Participation of women in planning, choice of technology and implementation of sustainable water supply and sanitation projects - Module III : Role of women in hygiene education and training activities for water supply and sanitation projects - Module IV : Involvement of women in management of water resources, water supply and waste disposal - Module V : Evaluation and monitoring of water supply and sanitation programmes and the involvement of women. - [Slide-sound Presentations] - Women and water ; Women's group in Yatenga ; Minimum evaluation procedure (MEP) (isn 3519) ; Barring the way to water - [Videos] - Prescription for health (isn 4766) ; Water for Africa (isn 4768)
The final version of the INSTRAW training package was first drafted in 1986 and after testing in the field it was revised. It is aimed at: a. senior officials of ministries of Education, Health, Planning, Public Affairs, development planners and provincial water authorities in charge of water supply and sanitation technologies; and b. representatives of NGOs, including women's organizations, which are active in water supply and sanitation projects and programmes. The training package focuses on: a. involving women in planning, choice of technology and implementation of sustainable water supply and sanitation projects; b. involving women in management of water resources, water supply and waste disposal; and c. incorporating into projects an adequate training component, evaluation and monitoring programmes. Each modular unit is supplemented with audio-visual support material, such as transparencies, sound slide packages, as well as additional reading; bibliography; key issue checklists for groupwork; evaluation forms for participants; and a trainer's guide. The package is also available in French (see isn 12373).
(51) Laver, Sue (1991 [?] Communication skills for trainers : manual for trainers (Training material, curricula) / University of Zimbabwe -Harare, ZW-. Training Centre for Water and Sanitation. - Harare, Zimbabwe, Training Centre for Water and Sanitation, University of Zimbabwe, - iv, 53 p.: ill.
Excellent training manual on the communication process, in seven parts: 1. introductory activities, 2. learning and communication, 3. planning our communication, 4. instructional skills, 5. using teaching aids effectively, 6. working with small groups, 7. working collectively, with many excersizes and cases. Includes a useful communicator's checklist and a sample one-week training workshop.
(52) UNICEF (1993 [?]) A training package for water, sanitation and hygiene education : facilitators manual / UNICEF (New York, NY, US). New York, NY, USA : Water and Sanitation Section, 8 modules (ca. 400 p.)
This document is for use by the facilitators of the UNICEF training package Water, sanitation & hygiene education. It provides the facilitators with more background on the objectives of each module and tips on how these might be realized.
Resources on Participatory Approaches and Communication for Water and Sanitation Programming: annotated references
- Appendix 1.Organizations / Publishers
- Case studies
- Courses and Workshops
- How to use part 2.
- Hygiene education and behaviour
- Interpersonal/folk media
- List of Acronyms and Abbreviations
- Monitoring and evaluation
- Participatory communication
- Preparatory studies
- Table of Contents
- Training Materials
- Web Sites