Programme Officer, Africa Team
Marielle has an MA in Urban and Regional Planning and a PhD focusing on urban services, specifically the formal and informal sector of solid waste management in Hyderbad, India. She has more than 20 years of work experience in the development sector. Marielle has carried out a range of short assignments in Africa and Asia and has focused on the sanitation and hygiene sector with a specific interest in school sanitation and hygiene education over the past ten years. She has taught and supervised a number of MSc students and taken part in a number of PhD vivers around sanitation and hygiene related issues. Marielle has also specialised in institutional and organisational development issues around sanitation and hygiene. She has written a number of articles and other publications over the past 20 years with a strong focus on the social perceptive around sanitation and hygiene related issues.
- School Sanitation and Hygiene Education, Thematic Overview Paper (TOP 6);
- School Sanitation and Hygiene Education India: Resource Book and Handbook for Teachers (TP 39-E);
- Various booklets on School Sanitation and Hygiene Education Programme. UNICEF/IRC, see WASH in Schools section;
- Serving the Water and Sanitation Sector: Resource centre experiences, developments and future trends, 2002. Co-authors Liqa Raschid-Sally, Teun Bastemeijer. (PR7-E)
- Various articles on SSHE, sanitation and solid waste management
English, Dutch, Indonesian and French (conversational).